Are you dissatisfied with the appearance of your nose and considering rhinoplasty? A nose job is a common facial surgery that can greatly improve the look and function of your nose. Dr. Schalit will guide you through every step of the process, including instructions to ensure a speedy, successful recovery.
What is Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)?
Rhinoplasty is a procedure to improve the size, shape, or function of your nose. The nose is one of your most prominent facial features, and changing its appearance can significantly benefit your profile and facial balance. Rhinoplasty can also straighten a nose that’s been broken or correct breathing problems.
Dr. Schalit performs rhinoplasties as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia. He will make small, well-concealed incisions either inside the nose or between the nostrils. With the help of a friend or family member, you’ll be able to return home right after surgery.
Downtime after rhinoplasty is typically one to two weeks. Bruising and swelling are normal during this time, and you’ll need to wear a nasal splint for the first week or so. Though the bruising fades within two weeks, swelling may last up to a month. It takes approximately a year for your nose to fully heal in its new shape.
Rhinoplasty Recovery: Do’s
Dr. Schalit will give you thorough instructions and aftercare tips, and he will oversee your healing progress. Here are some things you should do to ensure a fast, safe recovery after rhinoplasty:
- Get plenty of rest and give your body time to heal.
- Use cold compresses for the first two days or as instructed to reduce swelling.
- Use a nasal spray to keep your nose clean.
- Keep your head elevated above your chest while sleeping for about three weeks.
- Eat liquids and soft foods for a few days.
- Protect yourself from sun exposure, as this could cause permanent discoloration to your healing skin.
Rhinoplasty Recovery: Don’ts
In addition to things you can do to aid your nose’s recovery, there are also some things you should avoid. Always follow your surgeon’s instructions, and feel free to reach out to Dr. Schalit or his team with any questions or concerns.
- Don’t apply pressure to your nose for four weeks by blowing it, wearing glasses or sunglasses, or pulling clothes over your head.
- Don’t take ibuprofen or naproxen for a week after surgery, as this could increase the risk of bleeding.
- Don’t exercise or perform strenuous activities for at least three to four weeks.
- Don’t participate in contact sports for approximately three months.
- Try not to sneeze or laugh. Sneeze with your mouth open if needed.
Request a Consultation
Simply fill out the form on this page, and one of our highly trained staff members at Dr. Schalit Cosmetic Facial Specialist will reach out to your promptly to schedule your appointment.
Results of Rhinoplasty
Initially, your nose job results will be obscured by swelling and bruising. You’ll gradually see improvements to your nose as the swelling fades, with your full results becoming apparent after several months. Rhinoplasty results are permanent, so you can enjoy your new nose for a lifetime.
This office has hands down, the most outstanding, knowledgeable, and helpful staff. From my 1st phone call to my visits with Dr. Schalit are top notch. Thank you to Dr. Schalit for always taking good care of me!!
Take the Next Step
If you have further questions about rhinoplasty, we encourage you to schedule a private consultation with us in Daytona Beach, Florida, today. Call us at (386) 239-3600 or fill out our convenient online contact form.